- This event has passed.
Moonlight Hike to Lonesome Lake Hut
January 11 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
SATURDAY JAN 11, 2020
Attention Moonlight Hikers!
PLAN TO ARRIVE ABOUT 4:30PM TO PREPARE FOR A 5:00 PM DEPARTURE. WE’LL MEET NEAR THE LOG CABIN IN THE CAMPGROUND PARKING LOT (SOUTHBOUND SIDE OF THE NOTCH). THERE IS AVAILABLE PARKING ACROSS THE STREET AT THE BRIDAL PATH PARKING LOT (NORTHBOUND SIDE OF NOTCH).
This will be a Moonlight Winter Hike to the AMC Lonesome Lake Hut taking place on Saturday evening January 11th. Tom Cronin will be organizing this adventure. Meet at the Lonesome Lake Trail head parking located at the Lafayette Place Campground in the heart of Franconia Notch State Park by 4:30ish pm to prepare for a 5pm departure. If traveling from the South, you can park at either the Bridal Path Parking lot (Northbound side) or stay on Rte 93 thru Franconia Notch for 2 more miles before turning around at Cannon Mt Tramway exit to reverse direction, than park at Lafayette Place CG lot (Southbound side). Winter hiking conditions will prevail so preparations including, full winter gear/clothing layers including TRACTION devices, ski poles or trek poles, headlamps and an extra light source and glove liners are required.
We will plan to ascend to Lonesome Lake starting at dusk (5pm) and arrive at the Hut at approximately 6pm.
The route up will be on the Lonesome Lake Trail starting and ending at the Lafayette Place Campground.
After a brief respite at the Hut to refresh and adjust our clothing layers, we will plan to complete the 1/2 mile hike around the lake (conditions pending) and then hike back down the same path returning back to the car at roughly 8pm.
If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call. And on the morning of Sat. the 11th, if the weather is stormy or with a predictable bad forecast, then we’ll probably cancel by 10am on the day of the hike by posting on Meetup. If the trip is a go, we’ll take our chances with weather conditions as “Notch Weather” is always somewhat unpredictable.
It’s a unique experience hiking at night, but this trail is well marked and only 1.6 miles to the hut along an easy-moderate grade path. Please RSVP on Meetup if you plan to go so we know who to expect.
See you in the woods!
WINTER HIKING CHECKLIST…(Includes Traction devices)
– Rule #1 Wear NO Cotton Clothing or cotton undergarments when winter hiking. Cotton gets wet from perspiration and will not dry out in the cold.
– Dress in layers…shed layers hiking up, add layers on hike down
– A shell works best with layers added underneath as required.
– Warm wool socks (light inner sock, heavy wool outer sock)
– Pack water bottle inside your pack (to help keep from freezing)
– At least 2 pairs of gloves..lighter breathable gloves for climbing, heavy warm pair for top and hike down.
– HINT: Chemical hand warmer packs (before start of hike, open and place packs inside your warmer gloves stored in your pack to warm cold hands later)
– Wear non-cotton long underwear
– Backpack to store clothing layers, extra gloves, water
– Traction devices (snowshoes or micro spikes (Best) or crampons).
– Wool or synthetic Ski hat.
– LED Headlamp
– Trek poles or even ski poles work great
– Ankle gaiters (Optional but mostly useful only if snow is fresh fallen)
– Bring snacks that are still edible even in the cold (frozen power bars can break your teeth)
– Keep in mind dogs are allowed on the trail but are NOT allowed inside the AMC Hut no matter how cold it is outside. You will have to wait around outside the hut with your dog for a half hour or more till we are all ready to leave. Please keep that in mind if you plan to bring a dog.
There is no fee to participate. This is a drive yourself trip.
Some usually plan to gather at the Woodstock Inn and Brewery after the hike.